Monday, October 6, 2014

       Week 2:  This art project is a watercolor painting based on Georgia O'Keefe's style.  After researching O'Keefe's style of painting I found that most of her paintings were of flowers.  I found myself to overwhelmed by the beauty and delicacy of her paintings.  I wondered how I would be able to draw and paint a picture that would be a quarter as good as hers.  Upon further time searching the Internet, I found a large sloppy flower with a black outline and random colors of paint.  Finally, I thought "now here is something I can do" and set my sight on that. 

       The next step was to choose my supplies.  I wasn't sure if watercolors would work on a canvas or if I had to use watercolor paper.  I really wanted to use canvas because I had my art envisioned for a Christmas present.  My advisor recommended that I take the canvas and see what happens.  So off I went home.

      Finally, the time came to draw something.  I passed on the big sloppy flower and decided to give my drawing a full-hearted try.  Of course I needed some help, so I looked online for drawing help.  I found a page that showed step-by-step how to draw a calla lily and I began!  I started with my pencil and canvas and slowly started to draw and erase and draw and erase and finally I had a decent looking calla lily.  Keeping the person who this will be for in mind I choose to paint the background in blues and purples.  Little-by-little I started blending, a little water, little paint, and brush, brush, brush.   My final step was to outline the flower in a black bold line to make it stand out.   

     From this project I learned that I can draw and I can paint!  I would of never thought of making a project as this with out the assignment.  As my children watched me draw and paint they wanted to join in and because of that I purchased several 18X24 blank canvases and told them that their cousin Chelsea said she would like some art for her new apartment walls...wah-la! another set of Christmas presents in the making!

To learn and see more about Gegorgia O'Keefe visit the following link:
http://www.georgiaokeeffe.net

No comments:

Post a Comment