Monday, October 20, 2014

My Visual Art Project Reflection
1.              Looking at all four of my art projects I can say that I actually do have a little bit of artistic ability.  I never considered myself an artist, but I see that I can draw and paint.  I also found out that I can take items found in my pantry and with a little creativity make a piece of art that looks fun!
2.              My favorite part of the art process was the watercolor painting.  It was fun and relaxing.  I liked taking the colors and blending them together.  My least favorite was the salt art.  My picture came out ok but trying to paint the salt was time consuming and it kept getting stuck on my brush, irritating me.
3.              Choosing art projects from a list of what was available forced me to try a variety of things I would not have tackled on my own.  This process narrowed down my choices and enabled me to pull out my inner artist.
4.              I have learned that when teaching visual arts everyone does not have to try or do the same thing.  Offering many options gives students the opportunity to choose something they are comfortable with or something completely outside their comfort level.  Some students don’t work well outside their comfort level and others like to be challenged.  I also learned that visual arts are different for everyone.  Many of us did the same project, but created something completely different.  Visual arts are seen differently, not everyone will agree on what they see.
5.              My favorite picture is the Georgia O’Keefe inspired watercolor painting.  I had an idea of what I wanted to do and with the help of a step-by-step how to draw a calla lily I was able to complete it.  I had my sister in mind when I choose this picture and will feel a sense of pride every time I see it in her house just knowing that I did that!   My least favorite is the textured painting with the popcorn.  I am proud of what I did, but he cardboard curved as it dried and it isn’t one that I made for anyone in particular unlike the others.
6.              Family! 
I choose the word family because in some way each piece represents someone in my family.
·      Movie Night reminds me of movies with my girls.
·      Lady Bug is for my niece Bella.
·      Calla Lily because they are one of my sisters favorites.

·      Handprints because these are the people that matter to most to me!


After I thought about my art pieces and how I was able to try new things I started to see the importance of integrating art into lessons.  With art integration, students can show understanding, develop a greater understanding, and express themselves.  Art is also relaxing, especially when students are given different options to use.  What works for one won't always work for everyone.  Art needs to offer differentiation just like the lessons we teach our children.
Listed below are some links to find out more about integrating art into the classroom:

No comments:

Post a Comment