Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Art project number 4, abstract art...how hard can it be?  Yeah right!  

When I originally choose the abstract art I thought that I could just through some paint on a canvas and swirl it or combined it and that it would come out awesome.  I view abstract art as something but nothing.  The something relates to the fact that the artist made a specific piece of art with a vision they had.  The nothing is where another person looking at the piece of art sees it as just a bunch of colors randomly painted, dropped, swirled, blended, etc on a canvas with no rhyme or reason.

So here I go!  My vision was a spectacular piece of art that had a 3-D vision to it.  The artist used several layers of colors that circled from the center and out.  OK...so I picked out the colors and the canvas and was ready to go.

Step 1:  Paint canvas black


Step 2:  Choose a color 
I choose purple, then yellow.  I thought that I could just drip it over the canvas and make a swirl pattern, but the paint came out too think so I painted it into the swirl.  Not too bad right now.  Enough messing with the painting.  Time to let it dry!


Step 3:  Add more colors
Red...and this is where it went bad.  The red took over!  I wasn't really interested in painting right then but wanted to get the project done so that I could put everything away.  I tried to wipe off some of the red; no luck.  Once again I let it dry.
With my canvas all red I didn't like it and didn't know what to do.  I almost tossed it in the garbage and started over.  Then I changed my mind.  Abstract to me is something but nothing, so what can I do with what I have?  Looking at my girls sitting at the table painting, it hit me.  This painting will be all about my family.  I decided at that moment that I wanted to have everyone choose a color and put handprints on the canvas; me, Jeff, Eryn, Ashley and Riley.  I wanted my prints to be last.  Ashley (silver) was first, then Riley (yellow), next Eryn (gold), Jeff (green) and finally me (blue).  I wanted to be last because I had the idea of making a heart, the best I could, with my hand.  




As I reflect on this project, I am a little disappointed that I couldn't get the art the way I wanted, however, I am pleased with the outcome.  The final project may look like nothing to you, but it is something to me!  This is my love, life and family.  On the back of the canvas listed is everyone's color and age along with the date.  This will be a piece of art that will be happily hung in the family room.  This represents the people in my life that I love the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment