Sunday, August 31, 2014

A recent project in class asked me to think about our grandparents.  Think about any memory your want and write about it...
As I sat there I wasn't sure if I wanted to smile, laugh or cry.  My thought was of a summer tradition with my grandma and grandpa.  Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away 11 years ago, however, it was great to reflect on those days.  I sit here remembering all the great times I have had with my grandparents, it reminds me that I have not had lunch with my grandma in quit some time and I should call her!  It also makes me think about others who may not have had the same positive experiences that I have.  I think about how lucky I am; a child from my mom's carefree days, adopted by another man and treated as an equal with his family!  Then I think of others.  I think of children with their biological parents who are not having experiences they care to remember and then I think of this assignment. As a teacher I am aware that I will not always know the specifics that each of my students lives with and that their family members may not always be "family."   It reminds me of the diverse society we live in and that there needs to be flexibility in assignments such as this.  I start to think of different ways I would handle these type of situations.  Then it occurs to me, this assignment of creating an art piece to reflect my memory is also a critical thinking tool.  How would I, as a teacher, address this topic?  Would I assign it or not?  I believe that I would.  I would open it up to allow the students to think of any person.  I want them to reflect on a happy time in their life and let them poor their emotions out on paper and in art.  Even if they chose to use a time that was unpleasant, I would encourage them to express it so that others could feel it. Art, in any form, is a way for children to express their emotions. Some children will share their best while for others it may be a way for them to be heard about something bad happening to them.  Encouraging expression for memories is a great way for students to strengthen ways to express how they are feeling.  The art doesn't have to be perfect, the writing doesn't have to be perfect, but expressing one's self will do the body, mind and spirit a lot of good!

No comments:

Post a Comment