Sunday, November 30, 2014

Closing Circle

While researching ways to create a democratic classroom I read an article by Dana Lynn Januszka andKristen Vincent called, "Closing Circle;  A Simple, Joyful Way to End the Day"  https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/article/closing-circle
and I started to think.  I thought about the field placement where I spend two days a week in a second grade classroom, the morning circle we do, and how chaotic the end of the day seems.  I thought the idea sounded magical.  Could a closing circle be the way to calm the chaos that erupts as soon as the students start putting on their coats and stacking their chairs?  I reflected on the morning meetings I have been apart of, it was the way the day was started.  Morning circle erases the chaos of students straggling in slowly and lets the students know the school day has begun.  Every day the class is started the same way; morning meeting circle, morning greet, morning activity and a short share.  Sometimes the teacher asks them to share what they did over the weekend, what they are going to do over the weekend, what they learned about a classroom activity, how to be helpful in the classroom, rule reminders, etc.  After morning meeting we jump into math and off we go for the day.  It seems that by the end of the day, it is a scramble to get everyone ready to go and lined up for busses.  I am thinking that in my future classroom, I would like to have a closing meeting.  As the authors say, "The closing circle routine is a manageable way to peacefully wrap up the day..."  Manageable and peacefully are two words that stuck out to me; is this possible?  The more I read, I learned that by establishing a closing meeting circle not only helps the teacher keep the classroom under control, but that students have a chance to take ownership of their work and behaviors.  School is still in session until students are on the bus.  I think having a closing circle routine will help students get ready to go promptly, it gives them a chance to change gears from learning to reflecting.  Closing circle should be positive to give students a feeling of accomplishment instead of overwhelmed.  The idea of a closing circle at the end of the day is one that I plan on implementing in my future classroom.  If you have not had a chance, read the article!   In addition I have found some web sites where you can get more information and ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment